The Government is committed to reducing greenhouse gases in an attempt to slow down the effects of climate change and it is also committed to tackling fuel poverty. In an effort to deal with both of these problems the Government is offering a boiler grant to qualifying households so that they can have an energy efficient gas central heating boiler to replace an old broken boiler.
Boiler Grant Qualifying Criteria
To qualify for a boiler grant with the Affordable Warmth Scheme and get a brand new gas central heating boiler installed, you must satisfy all of the following criteria:
1. You live in your own home. At the moment, private tenants, council house tenants, and those in housing association or shared ownership homes are excluded from ECO4 boiler grants to replace broken boilers.
2. You receive certain State Benefits, Tax Credits or Other Allowances or qualify under ECO Flex rules. Qualifying benefits under ECO4 from 1st April 2022 are:
- Pension Credit – Guarantee Credit
- Pension Credit – Savings Credit
(Over one million pensioners are entitled to Pension Credit but don’t claim it. To check whether you are eligible click HERE go to the Government website.)
- Universal Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Income-Based Job Seeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- Income Support
- Child Benefit (subject to maximum household income thresholds)
- Housing Benefit
ECO Flex Rules allow local councils to recommend that a householder qualifies for the gas central heating grants for pensioners scheme without the need to receive one of the qualifying benefits above.
3. Your existing central heating boiler is broken or would cost more to repair than to replace.
The Government’s Affordable Warmth Scheme will offer a boiler grant to all householders who satisfy the above criteria. Boiler Grants are available for Mains Gas Boilers throughout England, Scotland and Wales.
If, instead of a central heating boiler, you have electric night storage heaters installed and they are broken, you can apply for a Storage Heater Grant HERE.