The Government is committed to tackling fuel poverty and it is also committed to reducing carbon dioxide emissions and other greenhouse gases to slow down the effects of climate change
In an effort to remedy both of these problems the Government launched the ECO Affordable Warmth Scheme in January 2013. A new ECO scheme started on 1st April 2022 which offers storage heater grants to low income households who receive means-tested State Benefits.
Storage Heater Grants provide funding for qualifying householders to replace electric room heaters, electric panel heaters or old, faulty and inefficient electric storage heaters with new modern energy efficient storage heaters.
Storage Heater Grants Qualifying Criteria
To qualify for a storage heater grant with the Affordable Warmth Scheme and get modern, energy efficient electric storage heaters installed, you must satisfy ALL of the following criteria:
1. You live in your own home (or rent from a private landlord) and it has an EPC of E, F or G.
2. You receive certain State Benefits, including:
- Pension Credit – Guarantee Credit
- Pension Credit – Savings Credit
(Over one million pensioners are entitled to Pension Credit but don’t claim it. To check whether you are eligible click HERE go to the Government website.)
- Universal Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance
- Income Support
- Child Benefit*
- Housing Benefit
* Maximum household income thresholds applies to Child Benefit.
3. Your main source of heating is electric panel heaters or electric room heaters or old, broken electric storage heaters.
The Government’s Affordable Warmth Scheme will offer storage heater grants to all householders who satisfy the above criteria.
If your main source of heating is electric but it’s are broken, you may qualify for a First Time Central Heating Grant to install central heating in your home. You can apply HERE.